Matters to Be Observed
The participant (hereinafter referred to as “Participant”) for the Ritsumeikan Summer / Winter Japanese Program (hereinafter referred to as “Program”) shall accept the following items and submit a letter of consent. During a stay, if the Participant should violate any of these matters, Ritsumeikan University (hereinafter referred to as “RU”) may require him/her to withdraw from the Program or return to his/her home country.
I. Conditions of acceptance
1) The program fee includes the costs for tuition, textbooks, and fieldwork. The Participant shall pay any expenses that are not included in the program fee.
2) The bank account information and the deadline for transferring the program fee shall be provided after the application has been accepted. The Participant shall pay the program fee by the designated deadline. If the program fee is not paid to the set bank account by the due date, he/she shall be withdrawn without any notice. In this case, he/she cannot make any objections.
3) If the Participant withdraws from the Program for his/her own reasons, a refund shall be provided according to the following. If the refund is to be made by overseas remittance, any processing fees shall be deducted from the repayment amount noted below.
a. If the request for withdrawal is made before the start of the Program, the program fee shall be refunded. However, the amount of non-refundable costs already paid to arrange any items and/or services for the participant shall be deducted.
b. If the request for withdrawal is made after the start of the Program, the program fee shall not be returned.
4) If RU cancels the Program for its own reasons or due to natural disasters, strikes, contagious diseases, changes in political situations, wars, terrorisms, or any other unavoidable circumstances, a refund shall be provided according to the following. If the refund is to be made by overseas remittance, any processing fees shall be deducted from the repayment sum noted below.
a. If the Program is canceled by RU before or after the start of the Program, the program fee shall be fully refunded.
b. If the Program is canceled due to unavoidable circumstances before or after the start of the Program, the amount of non-refundable costs already paid to arrange any items and/or services for the participant shall be deducted from the refund for the program fee that the Participant has paid.
5) Housing deposit is to be paid to RU as a housing expense and RU shall pay for the accommodation on behalf of the Participant. When the program fee is paid, the housing deposit shall also be paid. If the Participant withdraws from the Program for his/her own reasons, the deposit shall be used as a cancellation fee. In this case, if any, the balance shall be returned to him/her.
6) Prior to the Participant’s departure, he/she shall obtain a health insurance to cover his/her travels from the date of departure to the date of return.
1) If RU judges that the Participant is no longer able to participate in the program or to continue the program, he/she shall follow the judgment. In this case, if the Participant is in Japan, he/she shall leave Japan immediately.
2) In case where the Participant returns to the Participant’s home country due to the preceding item, even if his/her health recovers, his/her return to the Program shall not be permitted due to educational reasons.
3) The Participant shall report all previous and present illnesses or medications in use by providing RU with the “Health Certificate Form for International Students” in advance. The Participant shall also provide a medical certificate which proves his/her participation to the program.
3. Accident and sickness management
1) In a case where the Participant is required to be treated as an inpatient due to an injury or sickness, he/she shall report it to RU immediately and follow the instruction of the university staff.
2) In a case where RU makes the decision that assistance from the guarantor (who is indicated in the emergency contact section of the online application) is required, the Participant shall gain approval from the guarantor in advance. In this regard, the Participant shall pay the expenses.
3) In a case where the Participant attends the Program and symptoms of a previous or present illness worsen, RU shall not be responsible for financial or other liabilities. The Participant shall pay any relevant expenses.
4) In a case where medical treatments or operations are required, if time limitations do not allow for obtainment of a consent from the Participant or his/her guarantor, he/she shall consent to the treatment or operation at the discretion of the university staff in charge.
4. Required process for program participation
1) In Principle, participant must arrive and leave the accommodation RU arranged at the specified time and date. Arriving late and departing early is not permitted.
2) After receiving a notification of acceptance from RU, the Participant shall be responsible for the visa application or credit transfer when required.
3) In a case where a request for withdrawal is made after receiving the notification of acceptance, the notification of acceptance and required documents for visa application must be promptly returned to RU in order to receive a refund.
4) Personal data provided on the application form or any other documents submitted to RU shall be used for providing necessary travel arrangements, entrance procedures, registration and overall administration of the program. In addition, the information shall be shared with third parties including the Japanese language school, compensation insurance companies, risk and crisis management companies, accommodations, and organizers of cultural activities.
5) Application forms and other required documents shall not be returned.
5. Risk Management and disclaimer
1) The Participant is liable for any debt incurred during his/her stay.
2) The Participant shall not hold RU responsible, monetarily or otherwise, should he/she cause an accident or become ill by his/her own negligence or in circumstances that are out of the control by RU.
3) The Participant shall bear sole responsibility for dealing with matters such as theft or damages of his/her personal items, traffic accidents, criminal cases, or other matters that may arise outside of the control by RU.
4) If the Participant causes any damage to RU, deliberately or by negligence, he/she is liable to compensate for the damages according to the law.
1) The Participant shall understand the purpose and objective of the program and participate in Japanese classes and Japan Studies classes with an active and diligent attitude.
2) The Participant shall restrain from any actions that will dishonor RU and the university that he/she belongs to.
3) During the Participant’s stay, he/she shall observe the regulations of Japan, the area where he/she stays and RU. In case where an action or item (including drinking and smoking) may be considered legal in his/her own country and illegal in Japan, he/she shall follow the law of Japan.
4) During the Program, the Participant shall be aware of being a program participant and shall behave in a good manner.
5) During the Program, the Participant shall follow the instructions by the university staff, shall abide by the law, and shall not disturb public order.
6) The Participant shall manage his/her health, bring enough medical supplies for the duration of the stay, and a letter of reference from the care provider in charge.
7) The Participant shall follow the regulations of the accommodation.
8) The Participant shall not purchase or drive any vehicles including bicycles, cars or motorbikes.